WHY ARE MY TEETH SENSITIVE?
When our teeth loses the upper protective layer, which is known to be the strongest part of human body, called enamel, we get sudden shock like sensation called SENSITIVITY.
WHAT CAUSES SENSITIVITY?
Enamel gets removed because of conditions like
- Incorrect brushing technique
- Grinding of the teeth
- Tooth decay
- Frequent brushing
- Using hard bristled tooth brush
- Gum diseases like gum recession
- Chipped tooth.
These common conditions which seem insignificant in the beginning lead to severe conditions like sensitivity.
WHEN DO I FEEL SENSITIVITY?
Most of the times, teeth become sensitive when we are exposed to the following:
- Cold foods and drinks
- Hot foods and drinks
- Sweets and foods containing sugar
- Exposure to cold air
HOW DO I PREVENT SENSITIVE TEETH?
- Regular Brushing and Flossing
- Avoid hard and rough brushing
- Use softer tooth brush
- Avoid frequent brushing
- Get your Dental check -up done regularly
WHAT TOOTHPASTE DO I CHOOSE FOR SENSITIVE TEETH?
We find a wide range of toothpastes for sensitivity in the market. Among this range of products we should choose product with ingredients like Potassium Nitrate and Stannous fluoride.
- Potassium nitrate, commonly called Nerve Calming ingredient, prevents the nerves inside the tooth from carrying severe shock like sensations.
- Stannous fluoride reacts with enamel and forms stronger protective layer above the tooth surface which shields against the sensations of sensitivity.
- Strontium Arginine blocks the exposed dentinal tubules, thus helping to stop sensitivity.